Saturday, May 19, 2012

Protein Slice: More bars in review


Can reviewing protein bars be a hobby? Because I'm about to make it mine! After receiving tons of grateful remarks and further questions after this post here, I decided to keep on searching for the best protein bars out there. I may have went a little crazy at Kroger and bought 10 new flavors and brands to try. I haven't tried them all yet but I will post my individual reviews when I have! In the mean time, here are some more tips when picking out the perfect protein bar:

1. Check the sugar content.
In addition to the protein/calorie ratio, it is really important to check the sugar content. For example, Luna bars (like the Lemon Zest and Chocolate Chunk bars pictured here) have 10-15 grams of sugar per bar. THAT IS INSANE. I typically try to eat no more than 35 grams of sugar a day, let alone in one bar. If your bar does contain a lot of sugar, treat it like a "healthy cheat" and indulgence, not a balanced snack.

2. Check the artificial sweeteners.
Even if you find your bar to have relatively low sugar (0-5 grams), it is pertinent to check HOW they are sweetening it. Most times manufactures take the cheap, unnatural route by using sugar alcohols. This way they are able to sweeten the product with 1/4 the calories and double the sweetness of table sugar. Sugar alcohols can hind under a variety of names like glycitol,  xylitol, sorbitol, malitol, polyol, and polyalchol. (Watch out for weird terms that end with -ol !)  While sugar alcohols won't kill you, they do have negative side effects. Even just one serving can produce serious bloating and flatulence! To prove how bad these are, one popular sugar alcohol called methanol is used in antifreeze.

New reviews on:

Cliff Builders Bar in Chocolate Peanut Butter
Normally I love Cliff Builders but this flavor was not my favorite. It tasted a little to bland for me, and the flavors were not distinct at all. For the amount of sugar, it was not worth it at all and I don't think I will be buying this one again. I still recommend the Chocolate Mint and Vanilla Almond kinds however! (270 calories, 20 grams protein, 20 grams sugar)


LUNA Lemon Zest
This bar tastes like dessert! It is delicious but quite high in sugar, low in protein. I plan on buying these again for when my sweet tooth starts bothering me. Seriously, it has a great flavor and many people have recommended these to me. Generally they are about $0.90-$1.25 per bar. (180 calories, 9 grams protein, 13 grams sugar)


Side note, my iphone gallery is telling me:
 I'm thankful for my porch.
And for sugar-free hazelnut iced coffee.
But I'm really grumpy in traffic.


1 comment:

Andrew-L'autre said...

I'm glad you mentioned artificial sweeteners in your post! Too many people make the mistake of buying foods low in sugar, but the foods contain sugar substitutes that are far more unhealthful.