Monday, February 27, 2012

the reverse the slices, slice: part 2



one week down, three to go until
S P R I N G      B R E A K
A lot can change in three weeks. I can either eat all of the baked goods that are sitting around my apartment + sit on my bum watching TV at Justin's, or I can make use of the veggies I bought this week from Kroger (was that last week? or two weeks ago? does it even matter if they still look normal??) + keep up the running kick. My subconscious typically leans towards the former, but the past week I embodied the latter. Say wha?! Me, running? Ignoring the cupcakes on my counter? This is weird. Somehow it all clicked and my perspective changed when I read that somewhere. Don't ask me where, let's be real it was probably Pinterest. (Oh and you can read WEEK 1: SLICE 1-5 here)

WEEK 2: SLICE 6
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
so DON'T!
BAM. Of course I am going to feel the same and look the same if I keep doing the same things every day. Duh, Christina. So don't do the same things every day; bike or walk to class and work instead of drive, go rockclimbing instead of out to drinks, make dinner instead of eating out. Simple. And cheaper. Now I can spend that money saved on spring break and clothes for California. Holla!

WEEK 2: SLICE 7
Make it social: turn working out into hanging out
It's really easy to not work out. REALLY easy. But it's hard to bail on a friend when the two of you have plans to go to the gym. Here at the Nook, I can always find someone to go to the gym with plus my friend Mike + Leighanne are always up for it when my motivation is lacking. I dare you to call/text/FB your workout-partner of choice right now and make an exercise date.
*bonus points* if they are in great shape and can push you to go farther. Leighanne made me run 4 miles this weekend!

WEEK 2: SLICE 8
Know what you are eating
Do you know why sweet potatoes are better than regular potatoes? Or why yogurt trumps milk when it comes to losing weight? How does drinking green tea affect your body? Why should you sprinkle cinnamon on everything and everything? Are you eating wheat bread when you should be eating whole wheat non-refined bread? How much fiber and protein is in the food you are eating? So maybe you do know these answers, bravo. If not, I suggest you educate yourself on what you are eating and why you are eating it. I've always known what foods are "good" and "bad" but it wasn't until recently that I started paying attention to why! Maybe I am the only one who finds it interesting, but hey it's helpful I tell ya. (Special nutrition post coming up next week, get ready!)

WEEK 2: SLICE 9
 Be consistent
Two words and oh so important. Being healthy and being fit is only possible if you are consistent with your efforts. Eating uber healthy Monday-Friday didn't make a difference for me at all because I would eat whatever ever goodies my heart desired on Saturday and Sunday. Then Monday would come and I would (I'm talking in past tense as if this has changed at all... HA) wonder how on God's green earth I weighed more than I did the Monday before. That's no fun. So now I am being consistent with how much I eat and how much I exercise and things are changing 'round here.

WEEK 3: SLICE 10
Liquid calories will kill you.
Avoid them like the plague. Run in the opposite direction if you ever read the words 'juice cocktail'. Say no to all blended frozen coffee concoctions. You should be as paranoid about liquid calories as you are of spiders and failing grades. I only drink coffee with skim milk, light soy milk, or fat free creamer, tea, diet hot chocolate and lots of water. Liquid calories do not fill you up and often offer little nutritional value. That's like spending $100 to buy a Ho-Ho from the gas station.
SO. NOT. WORTH. IT.


Please do let me know if any of this has been helpful or if you are trying to tone up + slim down before spring break! The comment section is open to all readers, not just those with blogs themselves.

Side note: while typing this my package from Amazon came in the mail. I BOLTED to the door, signed for it, and ripped it open like a kid on Christmas. ALAS! My powdered peanut butter came in the mail! 45 calories, 5 grams protein, 2 grams fiber and 100% positive reviews. Is this real life?!



 

3 comments:

CeCe said...

Some really good tips here! A lot of it is stuff that we know already but just need to be remind of because...hmmffff being committed to diet and exercise is hard! Peanut butter-45 calories! I LOVE Peanut butter. The powdered part is kinda scary...curious to know how it tastes.

Ally Archer said...

Great tips! Being healthy is so important and exercising and knowing why foods are "good" and "bad" is important too. I loved the "That's like spending $100 to buy a Ho-Ho from the gas station" hahaha SO true!

Krystal said...

you must fill me in on the powdered peanut butter :)

I'm thinking we need to start swapping recipes!