Thursday, August 2, 2012

finding balance...

love Melody's face in this ahaha


Heads up: these photos are completely unrelated. I just found it ridiculous that I wear this red top so often. Someone please hide it from me and/or buy me new clothes.


After I graduated this spring, I took the summer off from classes until grad school begins in the fall. My game plan was to work at a coffee shop all summer, relax, and read a bunch of FUN! books. Just like every other season of my life, I have the tendency to get over-excited and over-book my time though, and this summer was no different. 12 hours after graduation I was at the airport, beach bound and 18 hours after the beach I started working again. Then I accidentally said yes to a bunch of babysitting jobs and worked here and there for OSU, too. Sprinkle in a week of VBS and a few bridal showers here and there as well.

Before I knew it, I was face first looking at a 55 hour work week. I missed a friend's wedding because of work, a birthday party, and 2 graduation parties. I kept wondering WHERE IS ALL MY FREE TIME?? Quickly I realized that I gave it all away. All. Of. It. leaving my family, friends, boyfriend and my well-being neglected.
Oopsies.
I'm hoping I am not the only one like this. Ambition + competitive spirit + go-getter personality + afraid to miss an opportunity + afraid to say no = one tired, tired little lady. (An accomplished lady, but tired non the least.)

Going from that madness, to 4 days in bed after surgery, was like speeding at 90mph and coming to a complete halt. I'm realizing "No." is a full sentence, and it's okay to say it. That in the pursuit of happiness I need to slow down and just be happy. If I don't learn to find balance, I'm going to miss out on the things that really matter to me like my faith, family, Justin, and friends. No wise words start out saying "do everything you can in the fastest amount of time." In fact, Jesus says "Be still, and know that I am God." Never been good at being still, but I won't stop trying.

No comments: