I'm back! I'm back! After being locked out of blogger for 40+ days, it feels weird posting. I might need some time to get used to it again so forgive me, I know not what I do. Or type. Or post about. So let's talk about one of my favorite things.
PROTEIN BARS
What!? I am weird, I know. But I have probably tried every darn protein bar on the market, and have even stooped as low to make my own homemade protein bars. I know this is crazy talk, but hear me out. Protein bars may have kind of a bad rap, and they might sometimes taste like chocolate-flavored-chalk. Plus you have probably spit a "caramel turtle pecan chocolate" protein bar out and screamed "LIARS! This is artificially sweetened rubbish! Not caramel turtle pecan chocolate!" We've all had our moments. But regardless of my bad experiences, I still have a love affair with protein bars and you should too, for many reasons.
First, protein is ESSENTIAL to building and maintaining muscle. Most girls believe they should not eat much protein, and that large amounts of protein is reserved for body builders. Wrong. So wrong. Protein actually burns more calories when your body is digesting it than any other macro nutrient. Did you hear that? You are burning calories just by eating protein! Next, protein is only 4 calories per gram compared to fat which is 9 calories per gram (carbs also are 4 calories per gram, but your body doesn't burn many calories while digesting carbohydrates).
Second, protein keeps you fuller longer meaning you will not be starving for lunch at 10:00 a.m.
Third, it tastes good! Grilled chicken, steak, shrimp, turkey burgers, egg omelettes, protein bars... and the list goes on.
Protein bars can be a convenient, delicious, way to get in your daily protein. It takes a lot of trial and error to find which ones you like; and my personal preferences probably will differ from yours. But after years of trying and testing all sorts of brands I have definitely found an elite list of favorites. Keep in mind, there seems to be two types of protein bars. Type 1 delivers an average amount of protein (10-12 grams) and tastes LIKE DESSERT, but sadly has a steeper amount of calories (ex: 10 grams protein, 190 calories). Consider these ones "treats" not a "snack" okay? Type 2 delivers an awesome amount of protein (18-20 grams), tastes mediocre, and has the right amount of calories compared to protein (ex: 20 grams protein/200 calories). These are great after a workout, as a filling snack, or if you must, as a meal replacement.
THIS IS MY FAVORITE. You will love this! It tastes like a dark chocolate bar but you don't feel guilty because it's vegan, 200 calories, and 10 grams of protein. Mocha Chocolate, Trail Mix, and Mint Chocolate are great as well.
2. Cliff MoJo Peanut Butter Pretzel (Type 1)
Low glycemic, 190 calories, 9 grams of protein. Definitely should be considered a treat. A delicious treat at that.
3. ZONE Perfect Dark Chocolate Caramel Pecan (Type 1)
It has too many ingredients to be considered "clean eating" but it's better than actually eating dark chocolate caramel pecans, I'm sure. 190 calories, 12 grams protein. YUM.
4. LUNA Chocolate Dipped Coconut (Type 1)
This is like a good girl's version of eating a box of Girl Scout Samoa's. Trust me. 190 calories, 9 grams protein, and 3 grams fiber to boot.
(Type 1.5)
Let me explain why these are Type 1.5. They are a lot higher in calories than I recommend (anything over 200 calories is too much for a bar) but they make up for it with 20 grams of protein that actually taste delicious. Each of these flavors is wonderful! They do have 270 calories so treat them as a meal replacement or after a heavy leg weight training workout.
6. Pure Protein in Blueberry, Strawberry, or Marshmallow (Type 2)
Usually about 20 grams of protein for 190 calories. Can't beat that! But the flavor is sub-par, so don't expect dessert-like quality. I warned you.
7. NUGO Chocolate Banana (Type 2)
This is the only NUGO bar with a high protein count. It's 190 calories and 17 grams of protein. The banana flavor is not very strong, but the bar is still yummy.
And that is that! Let me know in the comment box what protein bars you recommend, I'd love some new suggestions. And let me know if you try any of these this week! :)








3 comments:
Ohh thanks for the run down on the bars!! I love the Cliff Peanut ones, actually I love all the Peanut/Peanut Butter ones!
♥ Ashley
atparsons.blogspot.com
So which one tastes like chicken?
Protein bars can be a healthy dessert alternative. With so many variants to choose from, I am pretty sure that you can find one that suits your taste buds. Eating a protein bar is like rewarding yourself with sweet, guilt-free treats
Post a Comment